Site Map

Reporting Sexual Harassment

by Lala C. Ballatan

There are ways of stopping attacks of sexual harassment, either by yourself or with the help of workmates, authorities and by eventually filing a lawsuit. The following ways of reporting sexual harassment incidents may not ideally be in the order as we’re going to present it in actual reality. You shall have to discover for yourself the best move to compensate for the violation of your rights. And to totally stop the unwanted sexual advances being done to you.

Common scenario of sexual harassment is at the workplace. At the very first signs of unwanted sexual advances toward you, try stopping it by directly confronting the person. If this isn’t successful, go to your supervisor or human resources department for assistance. There may be several informal and formal actions that will be suggested for you and the company could do. These options range from contacting your unit or department and informing them of your complaint but keeping you anonymous, sending a letter to your harasser, or speaking directly to them to inform them that their behaviors violate the company policy and the federal law. He may also need to be informed that retaliation is not the way to solve his problem.

You might also be asked by the person-in-charge if you agree to an arrangement for a carefully prepared meeting between you and the harasser. This confrontation may help you to confront the issue. You may also be able to work out some sort of resolution. f you do not want to, however, there’s no law mandating such king of meeting.

Another way of confronting sexual harassment head-on is by having mediation proceedings. Traditional mediation, however, should be used with great care as this form is not always appropriate. First of all, ensure that the mediator is has ample training and experience, you must have an objective for the mediation and let the, describe in detail the process to unfold. If you really do not want to see your harasser personally, then the mediator may talk to you and your harasser separately, going back and forth.

Filing a formal complaint with your employer may also be another option if you feel that your problem was not taken seriously. But you must first know the policies involved and how it operates. You might do this by asking someone who have also undergone such procedures. Inquire in advance in order that you and the accused have the same rights and access to information, time frames and the length of time necessary to resolve the problem. Confirm also some oral communications by writing by giving the person who informed you with a written communication.

If these informal methods come to no avail, it may be time to want your harasser be punished by filing a lawsuit. Consult with an attorney that has experience in handling sexual harassment cases or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Your state’s anti-discrimination agency might also be able to help you.

About the Author
For additional information and comments about the article you may log on to http://www.personalinjurydefenders.com
Copyright © Law and Legal Advice. All rights reserved. Unauthorized duplication in part or whole prohibited.